They say humans only use 10% of their brain capacity. While most of us would like to think that’s not entirely true, it’s a curiously similar scenario when it comes to our personal technology.
If you’re a business traveler, you probably have a smartphone. You use it to check email on the go (probably far too often), surf the web while you’re waiting for the train, and scan your social media networks to check on family, friends and colleagues when you feel like taking a breather from the daily grind.
But are you truly leveraging that tiny computer in your pocket? The one that’s orders of magnitude more powerful than the NASA computers that put man on the moon?
While 70% of business travelers carry a smartphone, the vast majority are still traveling and filing expense reports like its 1999.
It’s not their fault. They’ve been putting their hearts and souls into building and growing successful businesses and simply don’t have time to browse the app store or research the latest and greatest in small business technology.
That’s why next week, I’ll be traveling to the Small Business Expo in New York to meet with small businesses and show them how to use their smartphones to make business travel faster, easier and more productive thanks to a series of amazing apps that were developed with entrepreneurs in mind.
This is Your Brain on Travel Apps…
- Gate Guru – For those moments when all you want is a cup of coffee. Or an outlet for your laptop. Gate Guru allows you to find comprehensive listings of airport amenities across 125 global airports.
- Room77 – Checking into a hotel? Find the perfect room to request based upon your preferences. Room 77 has a database of more than 460,000 hotel rooms that provides the view, the noise level and all the other details that add up to a good night’s sleep.
- Hipmunk – Hipmunk takes the agony out of hotel and flight searches. You see the relevant flights on a timeline helping you visualize the right choice.
- Taxi Magic – Waiting for a taxi when you’re in a hurry can be agonizing. Taxi Magic lets you dispatch or schedule a taxi right from your smart phone because it linked into the dispatch systems for most taxi companies – no phone call required.
- And we’d be remiss not to mention our own small business apps – Concur Small Business and TripIt for Business – which we’ve created to make travel and expense management easier, faster and more cost effective for small business professionals on the go. With Concur Small Business users can scan receipts, automatically create expense reports and track mileage through Google Maps, all while integrating with trips organized and managed on TripIt for Business’ easy to use travel management platform.
We hope you can join us at the Small Business Expo at New York City’s Penn Plaza Pavilion on Thursday, May 10th. Registration is free and the day’s agenda is jam-packed with info to help grow your business.
Please be sure to join us for our breakout session "Simplifying Travel and Expense Reporting with Your Smartphone" from 3pm-3:45pm where we’ll work with the small business pros themselves to help them leverage the mobile travel apps that will make their journey home the best they’ve ever had.
You can also find me and the Concur Small Business team on the exhibition floor at Booth #219 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
If you can’t make it, that’s okay too. We’ll be live tweeting from @ConcurSmallBiz and sharing insight and conversations from the show and the many informative panels it has to offer.