This post is part of our National Small Business Week celebration series where we spotlight some of the small businesses around the U.S. and find out their productivity and efficiency tips.
Many of us might relate to Chris Millich’s story of how he became the Director of Finance at Folio Fine Wine Partners, a company with under 200 employees. In the early part of his career, he chose not to follow in his father’s footsteps. Instead, he followed a path of working in finance with a position that would allow him to travel the world. Fast forward years later when he started to develop a wonderful work-life balance by learning to make wine at home. His passion for wine making soon became more than just a hobby - he wanted to make it his career. So, he set forth on learning how to bridge his love of wine to his forte with numbers. And, the rest is history...
Today, Chris is just living the dream at Folio Wines, where passionate people who are experienced and willing to share surround Chris daily. We sat down with Chris to learn a few tips on how he took his passion to new heights:
1. The best business advice I’ve ever received is don’t dwell — forget minor setbacks and move on. And, discipline is remembering what you want.
2. My favorite book to read during the summer is something I’m interested in but don’t know much about — Polynesian history, boat building or architecture. Always be learning.
3. When I’m looking for ways to make my company more efficient, I turn to my competitors (and, the Magic Eight Ball, of course).
4. I work best when I’ve been exercising regularly, or when I’m caffeinated.
5. I love what I do because I work with great people who are all working toward a common goal of building a business.
6. The greatest invention in the past 20 years that helps small businesses is Skype and Concur.
7. One piece of technology that I could not live without is a battery charger.
8. I simplify my life by getting rid of things I haven’t used for two years (or in business, six months).
9. If I could have one superpower, it would be to be able to increase the number of hours in a day.
10. One day I hope to do it all over again.
Chris, you are truly an inspiration. We thank you for sharing a few insights during Small Business Week on how you passionately work for Folio Wine, a small, yet fast growing company. We hope to sit down with you over a glass of wine soon.
Learn all about ways Concur can help your small business be more efficient — minus the Magic Eight Ball.