Here at Concur, we’d like to take this opportunity to say a huge THANK YOU to all of our nation’s small businesses, who are not only the backbone of our local economies, they also shape our communities, create 21st century jobs, drive innovation, and increase America’s global competitiveness.
National Small Business Week begins on Monday, June 17th, a week recognizing the critical contributions of America’s entrepreneurs and small business owners. And now, fifty years after President John F. Kennedy first made it official, America’s small businesses are still going strong!
Small business is BIG business
- More than half of all Americans either own or work for a small business.
- Two out of every three new jobs are created by small businesses in the U.S. each year.
- The small business sector in America occupies 30-50% of all commercial space, an estimated 20-34 billion square feet.
- Small businesses comprise 98 percent of America’s exporters and produce 33 percent of all export value.
- Small businesses create more than 46 percent of the American nonfarm private gross domestic product (GDP).
- Small, high-patenting firms produce 16 times more patents per employee than large patenting firms.
An essential part of growing any business is great advice! During National Small Business Week, we’re going to share a few insights about what we have learned from just a few of the small businesses that are part of the Concur community.
Check back with us all week long to learn amazing tips and tricks on how to keep your small business innovative and productive. For instance, we’ll be checking in with Maria, from Keynote Systems to hear suggestions on how she simplifies her life. And Ed, from United States Tennis Association, will share his best tips on productivity.
Have a tip for your fellow small business owners? Share it in the comments below.