We know that business travel may not be the most exciting topic in the world. Filing expense reports is probably not your favorite pastime, either. However, here at Concur, there are more than 8,000 people who are dedicated to knowing all about business expenses – down to the last little detail. ..including the fact that November 30th is the busiest expense day of the year.
We hope you will find the following data interesting from the ‘nerd-factor’ perspective—regardless of whether you’re a nerd or not. From which cities business travelers are visiting most frequently, to how many billions of dollars fast-food restaurants are raking in from business expenditures, you deserve to discover the fun side of expenses.
It’s All In The Data
Did you know that you can learn a lot about human behavior from analyzing expense data? Read the following facts to learn why detailed expenses not only offer interesting insights, but also provide information that will help you impact your company’s bottom line.
- Did you know the top 20 U.S. destinations, as measured by number of hotel stays, represent only 50% of business travel in the U.S.? This means business travelers are traveling all over the country, all the time.
- Concur has 40 million users worldwide! Where in the world are you reading from?
- Did you know that only 10% of flights are booked more than 90 days in advance?
- Concur travelers booked 46 million flights – representing 59 billion flight miles - in 2015.
- The average cost per flight mile among business travelers in 2015 was $0.23.
- Concur travelers expensed 74 million hotel nights in 2015!
- The average business trip is 3.1 nights.
- Use of home sharing for business travel saw 56% growth year over year, from 2015-Q1 to 2016-Q1.
Dining & Entertainment
- Did you know that business travelers expensed $3 billion for fast food restaurants every year? That is equivalent to 750,000,000 burgers!
- Concur travelers expensed $11.8 billion for dining & entertainment in 2015.
- Concur travelers expensed $9.5 billion on ground transportation in 2015.
- In 2015, 4 billion personal miles were reimbursed through Concur.
To Antarctica and Beyond: Traveling Outside of the Box
- Concur users expensed $76 billion in travel spend in 2015, showing that travel is speeding up and not slowing down.
- Several Concur sessions have originated from the International Space Station.
- In 2015, Concur saw 10 sessions from Antarctica.